My harvests have been picking up, mainly because I've been harvesting the overwintered vegetables as they mature or before they start to bolt.
Pictured above is Romanesco broccoli and Olive Leaf Rapini. That's the largest head of Romanesco, coming in at about 15 ounces. In the past I've harvested heads that weighed up to 5 pounds. For me to get such large heads I have to start seeds in June or early July so that the plants can grow like crazy through the rest of summer and our long autumn. The larger the plants grow the bigger the heads will be. But the plants pretty much stop growing by December so an early start is critical. Last summer I lost my first round of seedlings sown on June 21 to birds or some other animal just as they were getting large enough to plant out. I lost most of the second round in the same way. I was extra vigilant and protective of the third round (sown August 24), but at that point there was not enough time for the plants to size up enough to produce large heads. The large head actually came from a survivor of the second planting. I harvested another head from the third planting that was only the size of a floret, less than 2 ounces.
The Olive Leaf Rapini is much easier to grow. I sowed the seeds in paper pots on November 2 last year. I didn't keep track of when I planted them out, but it was sometime near December 1. There were 3 or 4 seeds in each paper pot and I allowed all of them to grow. I started cutting entire plants out of each cluster, repeatedly thinning out plants until there was only one plant from each pot. The plants grew slowly through December and I didn't start thinning out the plants until January 2. Since then I've harvested about 3 pounds of leaves and shoots. The plants are now sending out numerous flower shoots that I harvest much the same as sprouting broccoli, cutting a shoot when there's a loose cluster of buds but before the flowers start to open. I cut the shoots just above the lowest node where a new flower shoot is developing. Each plant sends out lots of shoots from the crown of the plant. The harvest shown above is about 13 ounces and is mostly shoots and a few mature leaves. The leaves on the flower shoots are long, thin, and smooth edged which is what gives the variety it's name.
I also harvested all of the remaining carrots. One of them was starting to bolt and I was afraid that the rest would soon follow suit.
Here's the totals for last week's harvests:
Dewing's Early Blood Turnip Beet - 13.5 oz (incl. greens)
Afghan Purple Carrots - 1 lb 5oz
Daghestan White Carrots - 1 lb 5.75 oz
Early Scarlet Horn Carrots - 11.25 oz
Piracicaba Broccoli Shoots - 4.25 oz
Olive Leaf Rapini - 13 oz
Romanesco Broccoli - 1 lb 1 oz
Garlic shoots - 2 oz
Kefe Beinwil Snow Peas - 4.5 oz
Chervil - .5oz
Claytonia - .5 oz
Arugula - 1 oz
Fava leaves - 1 oz
Lettuce - .75 oz
Golden Corn Salad - 1.25 oz
Vit Mache - .75 oz
Total for the week - 7 lbs
Total for the year - 18.5 lbs
The egg count (4 days) was 13.
If you would like to see what is springing forth from other garden bloggers' gardens head on over to Daphne's Dandelions, the home of Harvest Monday.