Monday, April 29, 2013

Harvest Monday - April 29, 2013

 The harvests are starting to get a bit more colorful!


The first Baby Ball beets

No. 1 Chioggia beet

Carrot thinnings

But green still predominates. I continued to thin out baby heads of butterhead and iceberg lettuce.


I am in salad heaven.

Rhapsody butterhead lettuce

Salad almost every day and some evenings too.


The first spinach of the season! You can read more about this variety on my recent Saturday Spotlight post.

Summer Perfection spinach

The first fava beans are mature enough to harvest. The first few beans that I harvested were consumed whole, I just tossed them with a little olive oil and grilled them on my stovetop ridged griddle until they softened and had browned in spots, sprinkled them with some chopped green garlic, salt and pepper and ate the entire beans - all but the tough strings that run down the side. The next harvest was prepared in a similar way, except they were roasted in a very hot oven until blistered and browned. The next harvest was shucked and peeled and a portion of the peeled beans were used in a recipe that my husband chose from an old issue of Food & Wine magazine for a salad of snap peas, peas, edamame, sweet onion, and goat cheese - we substituted peeled favas for the edamame. It was quite delicious.

Extra Precocce Violetto fava beans

Here's the harvest stats for the past 2 weeks:

Baby Ball beets - 4 oz.
Chioggia beets - 2.4 oz.
Beet greens - 8.6 oz.
Extra Precocce Violetto fava beans - 8 lb., 1.6 oz.
Iceberg Superior lettuce - 13.5 oz.
Rhapsody butterhead lettuce - 11.8 oz.
Lorz Italian green garlic - 3.3 oz.
Red Janice green garlic - 2.9 oz.
Summer Perfection spinach - 1 lb., 2.3 oz.

The total harvests for the past two weeks came to - 12 lb., 2.4 oz.
Which brings the total harvests for the year up to - 65 lb., 12.9 oz.

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne on her blog Daphne's Dandelions, head on over there to see what other bloggers around the world have been harvesting lately.


11 comments:

  1. Nice harvest. It's good to see some of the root vegetables come in. Mine haven't even sprouted yet, except for some turnips and radishes just up. My favas are up and first year for them so I'm collecting ideas for using them. Yours sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me drool. I can't wait for the favas, but I still have weeks to go. They are only about three inches tall right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest! I haven't even planted my beets yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your greens and beets are simply gorgeous! We don't have much growing yet and I am completely envious! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Favas! Or, more properly, "fave" ;) Yours look beautiful, and grilling is one of our favorite preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your greens are lovely! It's salad season here too. My beets are just now coming up, so they will be awhile. I see you're getting green garlic too. It's such a treat to me. I added some to an aioli this week, along with some garlic from storage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, your doing great already! Beautiful. I try beets occasionally hoping I will find a way that I like them, no luck yet. Maybe I should just grow some for the greens to throw in smoothies! Yours look good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks terrifically yummy. I really fell down on the lettuce thing. Maybe I'll try again in the shady bed. . . Has a package shown up?

    (It's Stefaneener; I'm not logged in)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have planted heaps of broad beans this year as last year I didn't have nearly enough. I have planted them in a pretty shady spot though so I will be cross my fingers that they alright - that way I can attempt all your cooking variations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *heart* your harvest. Carrot thinnings my babies would like them. Baby beets so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.