Friday, July 25, 2014

I ❤️ Canning Jars

I'm always finding new uses for canning jars. My zucchini piles runneth over lately, so with a few days of warm weather in store I decided to use some of them to make another batch of Zucchini Gazpacho. The problem with that is that it doesn't make room in the zucchini stuffed fridge, it requires more room! It's impossible to wedge a big bowl of gazpacho into the crisper drawer but there just so happened to be space on the door. And it just so happens that a 2-quart canning jar fits there. And it just so happens that I have an empty 2-quart canning jar available. And lo and behold, one batch of gazpacho fits in a 2-quart jar.


5 comments:

  1. Me too. I was making pickle brine the other day and I didn't want to mix it up in a bowl because it takes up too much room in the dishwasher. But the 2 quart canning jar doesn't and fits a lot of liquid. Of course I use them for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use canning jars a lot for storage and it's really nice when there's room in the fridge to fit them in :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I've never used canning jars for anything other than pickles. With space at a premium in the refrigerator during the summer, a jar is definitely a much more efficient storage vessel than a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame that they don't make canning-jars square in section, rather than round. That would be so much more space-efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2-quart canning jars take up a ton of space when empty, but, like you, have discovered how indispensable they are for storing liquidy things in the fridge. Still waiting for the zukes to come in, can't wait to try your gazpacho!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.