Bed #1 was where the curcurbits grew through the summer and into the fall. Everything is dead and done except for the Tromba D'Albenga squash. The vines are slowly succumbing to powdery mildew but they are still putting out a few squash now and then (more to show off next Monday!).The plants seem to appreciate having the entire bed all to themselves in which to spread their vines.
Bed #2 was home to the tomatoes and peppers this year. I've just started to take the tomato plants down, the ones at the near end of the bed in the above photo were pretty ratty looking but they were actually trying to put out new growth. And you can see that the rest of the vines are still alive and well, some actually look healthier than they did back in the summer. There's still a bunch of green tomatoes growing also. It's rather difficult to pull them out when they look so good. I will have to remove all the plants fairly soon, dead or alive, so that I can sow some fava beans along the trellis. The Robin Hood favas are growing well and so is the Kodiak mustard that is flanking them. I may have to give the mustard a haircut pretty soon so it doesn't overshadow the favas.
The Aji Amarillo Grande pepper plants still have a lot of green and ripening peppers on the plants so I've rigged up a cover for them to both keep them a little warmer during the day and protected from frost at night. There's both Agribon frost cloth and greenhouse plastic surrounding them. During the day the plastic is trapping a bit of warmth and if frost threatens I can pull the frost cloth over the top and down the front to provide some extra protection. The Baby Aji Amarillo plants have finished producing, nearly every pepper ripened on the plants, but the plants are alive and healthy so I'm hoping to get them through the winter so I can move them in the spring and perhaps get a head start on them next year. Baccatum peppers are more cold hardy and perennial than annuum peppers so unless we have an unusually hard freeze there's a good chance they'll survive our typically mild winter.
Bed #3 is in transition now. I cut down all the corn stalks, and cut down the dead snap bean vines and moved the trellis to where the Puhwem corn had been growing. I would like to try to grow some winter snow peas tucked in amongst the stumps of the corn plants, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it. The pea vines are still soldiering on under the fabric further down the bed. I've been getting a few handfuls of snow peas about once a week, but most of the shelling pea plants died.
I set out seedlings of Batavia broccoli where the snap beans had been growing. My experiments with starting broccoli under water bottle cloches worked so well last winter that I'm continuing the experiment this winter. The seeds were sown together in 4-inch pots and then I separated the seedlings and set them out in the garden under the cloches. I used to pot them up into individual quart sized pots before putting them into the garden, but my new method saves the hassle of tending to the potted plants. The only time I'll do the potting up from now on is if there isn't room in the garden for the seedlings when they need to be potted up or planted out. And look at those I'itoi onions - they're so happy!
|Batavia Broccoli Seedling|
Spinach is getting the same cloche treatment.
The frost last week didn't faze the nasturtiums so I'm letting them grow on. The Anna's hummingbirds which are year round residents here appreciate the flowers.
This patch of Kodiak mustard has a few more weeks to grow before I have to dig it in to prepare this spot for onion seedlings.
Bed #4 is where most of the harvest action is going on but I've added a few new veggies as well.
That was a couple of heads of Manoa Crisphead lettuce which didn't look so bad after some trimming.
The lettuce got replaced with Kongo and Kolibri kohlrabi seedlings and Palla Rosso radicchio seedlings. (The photo looks weird because I accidentally set my camera on some artsy fartsy setting.)
|Dazzling Blue Kale|
|Gustus Brussels Sprouts|
Future Brussels sprouts harvests in the Enchanted Brussels Sprouts Forest. (My apologies to Mollie Katzen...)
I had to whack back the Peppermint Stick chard because the ants decided to cultivate an aphid colony in its leaves. I guess they don't like the Syrian chard as much and the Golden chard which has been colonized before has escaped the attention so far.
|Pink Plume Celery|
The aphids also discovered the Tronchuda Beira cabbage and Russian Hunger Gap kale so I trimmed all of them quite drastically, but they seem to be recovering.
The carrots and parsnips are loving the cool wet weather.
One more look at those Brussels sprouts. I didn't think they would amount to much this year but they've come around. A couple of the Hestia plants are still producing big loose sprouts but I've found that those are perfectly fine for shredding so I've not taken the plants out as I threatened to do.
That's the latest in my garden. Thanks for taking the tour!