Thursday, June 25, 2009

Golden Corn Salad Gone To Seed


Perhaps you read my post back in February about Golden Corn Salad, a lovely and tasty salad green. That's one plant above that has plenty of room, decent soil and some fertilizer, you can see how large it gets in those conditions. Below is a photo of volunteers growing in the gravel patio under a bench without benefit of fertilzer and only watered by the rain. Those volunteers were not the least bit bitter. Obviously, this tender leaved plant can take a range of conditions. They'll be back under the bench next year since I allowed a number of them to go to seed. The more lush plant succumbed to an aphid infestation before flowering.


I just cleaned a bunch of seeds from the volunteers and another sowing in the vegetable garden. That nice little pile of seeds shown below is far more than what I need for myself. Send me an email (it's on my profile page) if you would like some seeds and we can arrange to get some to you. I'm always on the lookout for seeds of rare vegetables such as this corn salad (still looking for seeds of Spanish Black carrot), so let me know if you have something to swap.


Here's a great article on Golden Corn Salad by William Woys Weaver. My original seeds came from him through the Seed Savers Exchange (there's a link on the sidebar). Alas, Mr. Weaver no longer offers seeds through SSE.

5 comments:

  1. I emailed you. It looks like such a pretty plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely and so edible. I tried to email you but yahoo is throwing fits about your address. Can you email me first (address on the blog, I assume) and I reply?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne, got your email...

    Stefaneener, I'll email you from a different email address that perhaps yahoo won't be so fussy about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, there's something I've been trying to grow for two years ina arow without sucess. I think my climate is too hot and dry for it and I need to start sowing it earlier in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gintoino, I've found that all types of cornsalad do best for me if I sow the seeds in the fall and let it grow through the winter. I imagine that your winter weather is mild enough to to do the same. The plants that volunteered in my garden sprouted on their own in late fall/early winter and the seeds had been scattered around months earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.