Thursday, September 13, 2012

Refrigerator Confidential, or the post formerly known as Would You Allow This Man in Your Kitchen?

Apparently most of you are not inclined to share a spontaneous view of the contents or condition of your fridge. I don't blame you, but let me assure you, the camera misses a LOT. Come on, I know you want to see what the innards of another gardener's fridge looks like. So share and share alike. Perhaps you would share if the photos were anonymous, completely confidential, um, well, I would know who sent them, but my lips are zip loc'd. Send me your photo and I'll put it in the gallery, I won't tell, not even a hint. Promise! On the other hand, if you are the rare brave soul like Daphne, go ahead and take credit, leave a comment and include a link. It's all in good fun.

I was reading leafing through the latest issue of Gastronomica, a somewhat high-falutin' magazine that bills itself as The Journal of Food and Culture. They often times have some rather amusing stuff, such as the latest issue's photo spread by Mark Menjivar revealing the insides of ordinary people's refrigerators. This is no Sub Zero glossy you would be glamorous if you owned one advertisement, but extremely candid and revealing shots, and oh so interesting. Everything from nearly empty, to wilting produce, to a white sea of styrofoam. He gives a brief description of the household, such as "Short Order Cook Marathon, Texas, 2-Person household. She can bench-press over 300 pounds." I wonder why she has a snake in her freezer, could it be a rattler? Can't tell for sure, but it looks like it could be. I'm sure you can guess what is in the College Students' fridge. How about the Competitive Eaters' fridge?

Do a google image search for "mark menjivar refrigerator images" or a similar search term and take a gander. Or just go to this online gallery.

So, in the spirit of the moment, I decided to snap a photo of the inside of my refrigerator, um, both refrigerators. No editing, no rearranging, no cleaning, just open the door and snap a photo.


The kitchen fridge.

The garage fridge.

Jeeze, just how much can 2 people eat? And this is Thursday, the day before I go out and run all my errands. Tomorrow afternoon you won't be able to see that back of the kitchen fridge. It's a good thing that tonight is "leftover night". Oh no, I forgot about all those beans and cucumbers in the garage.

Do you dare to share?

Come on, just do it, open the door and snap a photo. Leave a comment and share a link. If I knew how to do that Mr Linky thing I might, but I don't have time to figure that out today, so just share a link in your comment. Please, I really want to see...

20 comments:

  1. Nope, nope, and nope. It's just not clean enough. I have a hard enough time dealing with it myself -- sharing is beyond my comfort level. The actual contents I'm proud of (except for the wilty cilantro). Your fridges are lovely -- what mine aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, I bet there's some good stuff in your fridge. It's a good thing that you can't see the bottom of the produce bin, I'm not sure how long some of the zucchini and cucumbers have been in there...

      Delete
    2. Maybe if I do some wiping.
      It's a never-ending battle here.

      Delete
  2. Your fridges are too clean and orderly. I don't know if I can trust you..... On the plus side, someone finally has more eggs in their fridge than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there are a lot of eggs. And what isn't revealed by the photograph is that I can't pry more than one of those jars of pickles out of there because they are stuck to the shelf by something sticky. And who knows what's lurking at the back of the top shelf - out of sight...

      Delete
    2. Let me get the kids to bed and I promise I will post the pictures i took right after reading your post this morning!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for posting a photo Nartaya, it is fun to take it peek!

      Delete
  3. Sure why not. I'll take a photo in a sec. I'm sure you won't be able to see anything though with all the plastic containers (where I keep all my veggies).

    And wow two fridges? The only time I had two fridges was when I was self catering my kids b'nai mitzvah (which I weirdly had at home, but me and the kids hate the typical ones). Now I do have a chest freezer in the basement to freeze things for the winter. But if I can't fit it in my fridge I have to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I get to see another gardeners fridge! Yeah, the second fridge is necessary because we eat so much fresh produce and I tend to preserve things in the fridge instead of the pantry. And then there's all those eggs.

      Delete
  4. I would, but its ugly, very, very ugly and not aspirational in the least. Yours has food in it. Mine has half empty sauce bottles and some wilted Tuscan Kale and nothing else - except for dirt, spilled milk, and general ickiness. Hmmm this has reminded me that I should clean it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just been exploring the gallery - people store some very odd things in their fridge. Potatoes? Snakes! Actually I've eaten snake on a couple of occasions - tastes a lot like chicken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried snake before, but if tastes like chicken, well, I think I'll stick to chicken.

      Delete
  6. I wish more people had taken you up on it. I love seeing how other people do things. I love seeing their pantries and their fridges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would, but there's no room my fridge for my camera *cough* honest ;) Besides, it's mostly eggs and pickles right now anyway. But I'm with Stef, I'm not sure mine is fit for public consumption. It's definitely not as organized as either of yours. Maybe I should start by putting our refrigerator pickles in the garage fridge...that makes much more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heres my fridge at the moment, not sure it says too much except that the melons are ripe and we're trying to eat as soon as we can. I'm afraid our local rodent population has found that ripe melons taste really good and that my attempts st trellising have provided them with a convenient platform for snacking. Also I guess i made a load of salsas yesterday, still trying to figure out what to do with red ripe chillies, lots of them.
    [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o586/dpeel101/007-1.jpg[/IMG]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fridge is so neat and tidy, and not at all stuffed. It took me a few attempts to get to the photo, so I'm reprinting the URL here:

      http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o586/dpeel101/007-1.jpg

      Thanks for sharing, it's was fun to take a peek!

      Delete
  9. I don't need to take a pic. All we have in our fridge is two shelves filled with melons and watermelons, two drawers filled with fruits and veggies, the random block of beeswax (don't ask), a plastic container filled with batteries and then a bunch of half used home-canned condiment jars. Oh, and probably a mason jar or two of goat milk. If it's not rolling around in the fridge it's in a mason jar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fridge has a lot of space cos I haven't done for groceries.I just realize fridge is more organize and clean if it has a few food inside :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because you asked so nicely and were willing to be the first...
    http://diaryofatomato.com/2012/09/21/refrigerator-confidential/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.