Monday, June 30, 2014

Harvest Monday - June 30, 2014

Zucchini. What more can I say.


I'm glad I put together that list of my Top 10 Favorite Zucchini Recipes. Although last night I prepared a dish that didn't make it onto the list but maybe should have - Zucchini Gazpacho - it uses 1.5 pounds of zucchini, a quick way to whittle down the pile of zukes.


More than 6.5 pounds (3 kg.) of zucchini last week, mostly from the lone Romanesco plant. I harvested only 2 San Pasquale zucchini last week. I'm thinking of pulling out that plant and using the space for something more productive.


To be fair, I weigh the zucchini with the blossoms attached, but they are a fraction of the total weight and I do use them.


Hard on the heels of the zucchini are the prolific chard plants. I'm trying to minimize the production by whacking out the side shoots. This was a side shoot on the Golden Chard plant. This went into one of the dishes on the zucchini list - Zucchini & Greens gratin.




And I finally thinned the Peppermint stick chard from 2 plants to 1. And I'm pulling the few Superstar onions that didn't bolt and using them straight from the garden.


For once I got around to harvesting my baby greens as babies...


Ruby Streaks mizuna

Purple pac choi

Speedy arugula

Tokyo Bekana napa cabbage

The Royal Burgundy and Slenderette bush snap beans are producing a few here and there.


And the strawberries are producing enough that I didn't need to buy any at the farmer's market last week.


Beet thinnings, the greens of which will go into a frittata.


Still Life With Onion...


The first small heads of Ruby Gem romaine lettuce were large enough to harvest. I've got these growing under a canopy of lightweight remay to provide a bit of shade and they seem to appreciate it, there wasn't a hint of bitterness or toughness.



Here's the harvests for the past week:

Speedy arugula - 4.5 oz.
Royal Burgundy beans - 5.6 oz.
Slenderette beans - 4.1 oz.
Beet Greens - 1 lb., 8 oz.
Tokyo Bekana napa cabbage - 5.4 oz.
Capers - 3.4 oz.
Dried chamomile - 4.3 oz.
Golden chard - 1 lb., 11.2 oz.
Italian Silver Rib chard - 1 lb., 5 oz.
Peppermint Stick chard - 3 lb., 3.4 oz.
Ruby Gem romaine lettuce - 8 oz.
Ruby Streaks mizuna - .6 oz.
Superstar onions - 2 lb., 10.2 oz.
Purple pac choi - .3 oz.
Romanesco zucchini - 6 lb., 2.6 oz.
San Pasquale zucchini - 7.2 oz.
Zucchini blossoms (just the boys) - 4.6 oz.

The total harvests for the past week were - 19 lb., 8.6 oz. (8.9 kg.)
That brings the total harvests for 2014 up to - 304 lb.s, 6.2 oz. (138.1 kg.)

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne on her blog Daphne's Dandelions, head on over there to see what other garden bloggers have been harvesting lately.

12 comments:

  1. Such beautiful harvests. And I'm hoping to try some of your zucchini recipes when I finally get some. I really have to try romanesca next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful harvest (and pics) as always. I see that you pick your zucchini when they are really young. As the summer progresses, maybe I should start doing that as well. Lovely strawberries by the way. It seems that you've been successful in "relocating" the rats that have plagued them in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That peppermint stick chard is beautiful! Where did you get the seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chard seeds came from Renee's Garden Seeds. It's beautiful and it tastes good too.

      Delete
  4. Such lovely colours & variety in your harvests. And that onion still life - just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems Romanesco zucchini is all the rage on Harvest Monday this week. I need to add it to my seed list for next year. It seems very productive! I hope to have enough harvests to need your zucchini recipes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful harvest! I love how pretty your zucchini are (and with the blossoms!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Daphne. I'm looking forward to trying several of your zucchini recipes. Next week will be my turn to cook! My Romanesco plant is just now setting on. So far, so good. We planted three at the Impact Community garden. I sure hope those folks like zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will trade you some yellow crookneck squash for zucchini! We have had boat loads of the stuff with two more picked tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the zucchini and can't believe I missed your " Top 10 Favorite Zucchini Recipes." There are so many I want to try. The photos of your greens are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely will try Renee's F1 version of Romanesco next year. My OP version is feeble by comparison. My definition of a good zucchini recipe is one that doesn't produce a larger volume of leftovers than the ingredients going in to it. I'll have to peruse yours, so many of them sound so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.