Monday, January 30, 2017

Harvest Monday - January 30, 2017

Welcome to Harvest Monday. This will be the last week that I'll be stepping in for Dave of Our Happy Acres as the temporary host of Harvest Monday, be sure to go to his blog next Monday if you want to link up. Harvest Monday is where we celebrate all things harvest related. This is the place to share your latest harvests and what you've been doing with them. If you would like to link up you will find Mr. Linky at the end of this post.

I know that I'll be putting fewer Brussels sprouts plants into the garden for the 2017-18 harvests. The Gustus plants provided nearly 4 pounds of sprouts this week and there's more to come. I should have harvested more of the Hestia sprouts as well, but there's just so many sprouts I can deal with at one time.

Gustus Brussels Sprouts
The first photo is of the sprouts straight off of the plants and the photo below is after some trimming. I weigh them for the tally after I trim them.

Gustus Brussels Sprouts
I used some of this week's harvest of sprouts in another cast iron roasting session, this time with carrots and parsnips (see below) and dressed the roasted veggies with a mixture of equal parts coarse grained mustard, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar. My eater-in-chief approved!

Brussels Sprouts & Squash 
Earlier in the week I used some of the previous harvest of sprouts in some baked sprouts and winter squash with a crispy bread crumb and parmesan topping. More forks up for that one!

Pusa Rudhira Red and Starica Carrots
I pulled more carrots to use in the roasted veggie dish.

Gladiator Parsnips
Plus a few fresh parsnips.


The carrots were small, actually medium sized, and the parsnips big, as you can see in the photo above. I used all but the wonky carrot and only the large parsnip for the baked veggies. I think that that really big parsnip found its way all the way to the bottom of my nearly 2-foot deep raised bed, it was not easy to extract.

Tronchuda Beira
I experimented with making a salad with some finely sliced Tronchuda Beira and was quite happy with the results. If you like kale salads then you would probably like a Tronchuda Beira salad.

Pink Plume Celery
The celery is still growing well so I still get to harvest stalks as I want them.

Aji Amarillo Grande Peppers
The amazing Aji Amarillo Grande peppers are still ripening!  Some of the peppers were wrinkled and possibly damaged by freezing temperatures, but still usable. The rest of them were in fantastic shape for winter peppers. I've never harvested garden ripe peppers in January! By the way, the flavor of these peppers is fantastic and they are plenty spicy.

Golden Corn Salad
And finally, I "weeded" out all the corn salad that was growing in the spinach patch. It's enough for a couple of salads.

Here's the details of the harvests for the past week:

Gustus Brussels sprouts - 3.7 lbs.
Tronchuda Beira cabbage/kale - 4.2 oz.
Pusa Rudhira Red carrots - 3.8 oz.
Starica carrots - 4.9 oz.
Pink Plume celery - 4.7 oz.
Golden corn salad - 2.5 oz.
Gladiator parsnips - 15.3 oz.
Aji Amarillo Grande peppers - 13.9 oz.

Total harvests for the week - 6.8 lb.
2017 YTD - 25.3 lbs.

If you have a harvest you would like to share or share how you are using your harvests then add your link to Mr. Linky below. Then go check out what other bloggers have to share.


Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Auto-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.


6 comments:

  1. A glut of B-sprouts is something I can only dream of! And peppers in January is pretty amazing too. Thanks again for hosting HM for me this month. I'm hoping to have a harvest or two myself next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics, and in January!

    It's so reassuring that exotic seeds like the Pusa Rudhira Red Carrots actually turn into red carrots. Hope they're as delicious as we promised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Baker Creek's promises that I counted on, that's where my seeds came from.

      Delete
  3. Hey you did well to get that parsnip out without breaking the root!
    I'm having trouble with making my Harvest Monday post live (photo uploading issues) so will hopefully sort it out tomorrow and join in then....bedtime now...zzzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. No harveting again this week but there are still things to harvest on the plot. I am sure that there will be some sprouts waiting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.