Monday, March 4, 2019

Harvest Monday - March 4, 2019

The harvests were fairly light again this week. I'm sort of rationing what I take from the garden because there's not a lot left that is harvestable and if I harvest everything that is ready then there won't be much of anything left. If the weather continues to be cold then what's still in the garden will keep better out there than in my fridge. And the weather for the coming week looks to continue to be cold and it will be wet.

The Autumn Star and Mistletoe kalettes plants gave up a half pound of sprouts between the two of them. I probably won't get much more from those two plants because what's left is very small and I don't think that they will grow much more. But that old 2017 Orion fennel plant still had a couple more nice bulbs ready to cut.

Mistletoe Kalettes
Orion Fennel
Autumn Star Kalettes

I pulled one more Mini Purple daikon radish and a few small off type Bora King daikon radishes. The Bora Kings were white on the outside but still streaked with purple on the inside. The cold wet weather is keeping the radishes solid and mild tasting.

Mini Purple and Bora King Daikon Radishes

I also harvested another round of Pink Plume celery stalks and pulled the last of the summer sown Short Stuff carrots. All of the carrots were pretty small and not likely to get any larger so it was time to clear out the space to make room for some seedlings that I've been starting indoors. The celery and carrots did not get photographed.

Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave on his blog Our Happy Acres, head on over there to see what other garden bloggers have been harvesting lately.




11 comments:

  1. Your kalettes are so cute, they look like they'd be delicious. I tried growing carrots in the fall as well, and they didn't do much either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kalettes are delicious, well worth the effort and time they spend in the garden.

      Delete
  2. I'm sort of in rationing mode too, trying to make the winter green last until I can get more planted and they get some size. It is amazing to me the radishes are holding up so well. I know they can take cold, but the cold and wet combo is hard on things in my winter garden. Perhaps the cold is colder than you get too. The kalette 'trees' from your garden tour were quite impressive! I've not been tempted to grow it here after looking at the days-to-harvest time for most varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kalettes do take a long time to produce but I do love them and it's something that I rarely see at the store so it's worth the commitment. I'm surprised at how well the radishes are holding and I'm pretty sure it's because of the cold weather, during the warm drought years they would have started to bolt by now.

      Delete
  3. Celery does like the cool and wet doesn't it? Mine is thriving in this rainy winter. It is so crisp and flavorful. I imagine you find the same with your pink plume celery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The celery is at its best at this time of year. The only problem is if we have a hard frost then some of the outer stalks can get a bit pithy.

      Delete
  4. Fennel... I can imagine the aroma... so lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are not so much rationing as leaving things in the ground until we need them. It seems that things soon lose their freshness if picked sooner than needed so we pick according to need, We’ve never grown kalettes. Do they grow like sprouts as if so ours were very disappointing this year,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kalettes do grow like sprouts. They are a cross between Brussels sprouts and kale and have the same growing requirements that Brussels sprouts have. I sow the seeds at the same time and grow them together.

      Delete
  6. That fennel is crazy! When it comes to harvesting, if I can hold things in the garden until I need them, I much prefer that to harvesting and having it languish in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.