Friday, December 12, 2008

More Soup Please

I make lots of soup when the weather gets cold. One of my favorites is made with the leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I have no particular favorite version of Thanksgiving Turkey Soup, it just has to be made with broth made from the bird and include chopped up turkey. So, you're probably wondering why it took me so long to get around to using up those leftovers. Actually, it hasn't been all that long because I didn't get to roast my own turkey until last weekend, 10 days after Thanksgiving. You see, my mother hosted Thanksgiving this year and I didn't get any leftovers. So, I roasted my own bird (lightly smoked on the barbeque) and had a mini Thanksgiving redux, complete with my favorite cranberry relish, brussels sprouts, and potato-celery root puree. But, it was the turkey leftovers that my husband and I were really looking forward to. Sandwiches, soup, quesadillas, enchiladas...! So, yesterday I removed the rest of the meat from the turkey and used the meaty bones and skin to make a broth and used the broth for the soup. Here's this year's version of Thanksgiving Turkey Soup, featuring carrots, garlic, and Portuguese cabbage (oh so good in soup) from my garden.


Thanksgiving Turkey Soup 2008

About 1/2 pound carrots, chopped
About 1/2 pound yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 leaves of Portuguese cabbage, ribs and stems removed, cut into ribbons about 1/4-inch by 3-inch, about 4 cups
6 cups of turkey broth
2 fresh bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
chopped roasted turkey, as much as you like
olive oil for drizzling (I know, I drizzle it on everything!)

Put the carrots, potatoes, garlic, cabbage, broth, and bay leaves in a large saucepan and bring up to a simmer over medium heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about a half hour, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the turkey, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer a bit more to heat the turkey through. Serve with a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil (or not, as you like).


Portuguese Cabbage Leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.